Aug. 19, 2012 - A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Sunday, Aug. 19, 2012

Reflection for the Day
“How does The Program work?” newcomers sometimes ask. The two answers I most often hear are “very well” and “slowly.” I’m appreciative of both answers, facetious as they may first sound, because my self-analyzing tends to be faulty. Sometimes I’ve failed to share my defects with the right people; other times, I’ve confessed their defects, rather than my own; at still other times, my sharing of defects has been more in the nature of shrill complaints about my problems. The fact is that none of us likes the self-searching, the leveling of our comings which The Steps require. But we eventually see that The Program really works.

Have I picked up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at my feet?

Today I Pray
May God keep me from laying out my defects by comparing them to someone else’s. We are, by nature, relativists and comparers, who think in terms of “worse than …” “not quite as bad as …” or “better than …” May I know that my faults are faults, whether or not they are “better than …” others’.

Today I Will Remember
Bad is bad, even when it is “better than.”

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...