Aug. 20, 2012 - A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Monday, Aug. 20, 2012

Reflection for the Day
All of The Program’s Twelve Steps ask us to go contrary to our natural inclinations and desires: they puncture, squeeze, and finally deflate our egos. When it comes to ego-deflation, few Steps are harder to take than the Fifth, which suggests that we “admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.” Few Steps are harder to take, yes, but scarcely any Step is more necessary to long-term freedom from addiction and peace of mind.

Have I quit living by myself with the tormenting ghosts of yesterday?

Today I Pray
May God give me strength to face that great ego-pincher - Step Five. May I not hesitate to call a trusted hearer of Fifth Steps, set up a meeting and share it. By accepting responsibility for my behavior, and then sharing my account of it with God and one other, I am actually unburdening myself.

Today I Will Remember
My Fifth Step pain is also my liberation.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 16, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Tuesday, April 16, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: There are persons who have some parts like me, but no one...