Sept. 10, 2012 - Just for Today


Just for Today
Monday, Sept. 10, 2012
Just for today, if life in sobriety jolts me with a reality that, in the end, is truly hopeless, I will not yield to hopelessness and reach for the hope - and the first work in hopelessness in hope. If the Program has impressed anything on me, it is that hope exists in all things and that hopelessness is empowered only if I bow to it. In hope, there is faith and promise that the hopeless will be overcome by hope; in hopelessness, there is loss of faith and inviting all those lethal feelings like fear, dread, self-pity and selfishness that, together, spell slip at the least or relapse at worst. And either can send me back to that dark pit from which the Program guided me. In hopelessness, the power of hope can and will take me from that dark place - as long as I keep the Steps of AA close in thought. Nothing, including the despair that life in sobriety will sometimes present, justifies my giving up all I have gained through the Program. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 25, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, April 25, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Letting Go of Anger In recovery, we often discuss anger ...