Sept. 29, 2012 - Today's Gift from Hazelden


Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Often, the people who are close to me share similar ways of thinking, acting, or spending time. This doesn't mean that we have to share everything. We can choose which activities we do together and allow each other to have separate interests too.

If I'm in an intimate relationship, but want to go to a movie with friends, it should be perfectly acceptable. It doesn't mean there are problems in my relationship, but that the relationship is healthy and equal. Problems would exist when one person wants to have the freedom to choose separate activities but doesn't allow the other the same consideration. It is normal and healthy to have experiences, hobbies, and interests that are separate from those of my children, friends, or romantic interest. Couples and families shouldn't be expected to enjoy everything together.

If someone I care about has told me he or she wants to do something away from me, I can react by saying, "This is great!" Today I will understand that this doesn't mean the person no longer loves me or is losing interest. It means that person is emotionally healthy enough to have his or her own interests and respects me enough to allow me mine.

From the book:

Time to Fly Free © 2001 by Judith R. Smith. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...