Nov. 11, 2012 - Just for Today

Just for Today
Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012


"When I am hungry, give me someone that I can feed. And when I am thirsty, give me someone who needs a drink. When I'm cold, give me someone to keep warm. And when I grieve, give me someone to console." - Mother Teresa (1910-1997)

Just for today
, I hear the words of a religious icon whose command transcends denominations and religion itself and embraces a fundamental ethic of the AA Program - focus off self and on those who need it as much and more. The 12th Step requires us to be of service by carrying the hope of AA's message of recovery to those who need and want to hear it. And by directing my focus on those who need the message and guidance through the other Steps, I hope to have little time to dwell on myself, though not neglecting my responsibilities to my own Program. At the same time, by listening and helping someone else resolve or reconcile their own problems, I may have to eat crow if I think no one carries the weight that I do. My recovery requires abandonment of self, and the quality of my sobriety can be expected to be less than what it could be if I make my recovery about myself; my drinking was all about myself, and the outcome speaks for itself. Today, if I find someone who is hungry, who is thirsty, who is cold or who grieves, grant me the wisdom and courage to put their needs before my wants. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Friday, March 29, 2024 Today ,  if I start any day with dread, I probably need to do a  10th Step  or re-do my  Fourth.  Clea...