March 17, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Sunday, March 17, 2013
 
Today, I begin a daily exercise of reconditioning my thought processes to think as a sober alcoholic instead of one still drinking. Much, if not all, of my thinking has been under the influence; without that influence, by the Grace of God, I have to believe that my thoughts about myself and the rest of the world are going to change - for the better. As such, I need to adapt myself to a perspective foreign to me; not doing so, if it doesn't lead to a relapse, will make me little more than a dry drunk. And the Program promises that recovery is more than being dry. I must make a conscious decision that I will no longer think in terms of "me" and that the thinking patterns which helped to fuel my addictive drinking must change because holding onto the same thinking poses a risk that isn't worth taking. Today, I start to retrain my brain to think in terms of sobriety and dismantle my thinking from the perspective of the drunk that I am working to demote to yesterday. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...