April 30, 2013 - Today's Gift from Hazelden


Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
 -- Winston Churchill

We are used to learning the hard way. Many of us think we're different and can do things our own way. But then we get in too much trouble or pain. The first A.A. members were just like us. They knew how it was to hate being told what to do. So they suggested we follow the Twelve Steps. They didn't say we have to do anything. They didn't say working the Steps is the only way to live sober. They just said the Steps worked for them.

We're finding out that the Steps work for us too. We don't have to work them. We don't have to stay sober. We just like our new sober life better than our old drinking or drugging life. And we're learning how to live this new life by working the Steps.

Prayer for the Day
Higher Power, help me be open to your lessons. Teach me gently and help me listen.
Action for the DayI will list five ways that I get in the way of my own learning.
From the book:
Keep It Simple © 1989 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 19, 2024 - Reading sin Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Friday, April 19, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Making Room for What Matters I don't know about you, b...