Sept. 12, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Thursday, Sept. 12, 2013

Today, I will not empower anger to poison my actions and words for which, inevitably, I will have to answer. If I forget I have only today and reach back into yesterday and resurrect some anger or resentment, justified or not, I will Let Go and Let God because I don't WANT to add to any excess baggage and I DON'T want to give power to an emotion that might derail me if I don't control IT. If I get angry today, I will walk away from the source until I can think with reason and logic, without emotion. And if I get the chance to talk to a person who has made me angry, I will confine my words to how I feel instead of, "YOU made me feel ...," "YOU shouldn't have ..." and "YOU had no right ..." In that context, I am risking taking another person's Fourth, and the job as moral gatekeeper was taken from me by a Power wiser and stronger than I. As a drinking alcoholic, I had no choice but to allow my anger to have the upper hand; today, as a recovering alcoholic, I have the choice of NOT allowing anger to dictate my words and thought. Today, I choose to weaken any potentially lethal emotion by NOT empowering it. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...