Nov. 15, 2013 - A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Friday, Nov. 15, 2013

Reflection for the Day
As a newcomer, I was told that my admission of my powerlessness over alcohol was my first step toward freedom from its deadly grip. I soon came to realize the truth of that fact. In that regard, surrender was a dire necessity. But for me that was only a small beginning toward acquiring humility. I've learned in The Program that to be willing to work for humility - as something to be desired for itself - takes most of us a long, long time.

Do I realize that a whole lifetime geared to self-centeredness can't be shifted into reverse in a split second?

Today I Pray
May I search for my own humility as a quality that I must cultivate to survive, not just an admission that I am powerless over my compulsive behavior. Step One is just that - step one - in the direction of acquiring an attitude of humility. May I be realistic enough to know that this may take half a lifetime.

Today I Will Remember
Pride blew it; let humility have a chance.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...