Nov. 22, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, Nov. 22, 2013

Todaychoices. The ones I am making now can partly measure my progress in the Program and the quality of my sobriety. As a drinking alcoholic, many of my choices were dictated by lying, by fear, by anger, by loneliness, by resentment and by selfishness. As a recovering alcoholic, the choices I make hopefully are based in truth, logic, without emotion and with a sense of the greater good instead of just my good. My choices then and now, while hopefully made from different perspectives, retain one constant: in the end, there are consequences of my choices and I alone am responsible to those consequences. Unlike then, however, now I pray for the foresight to see the consequences and, if I see those consequences coming with a responsibility I do not want to be held to, sobriety gives me the freedom to choose wisely. Drinking denied me that freedom; choices then almost always produced consequences that are even now too costly. Today, being sober, I have the freedom of choice, and I pray for the Higher Power's knowledge to make the right choices. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...