Dec. 16, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Monday, Dec. 16, 2013 
Today, I will not empower anyone so strongly that their perception or opinion about me determines my sense of self-worth and security in myself and, especially, the quality of my recovery. Especially as an alcoholic in recovery, I must not believe that my purpose in recovery is to be everything to everyone or to meet the standards they set down; the reason for recovery is to stop drinking or using and atone for any injury and hurt I might have imposed in my drinking days. In some cases, amends may not possible. Further, I cannot control if amends I can make will be accepted by the person who is owed them. If I find that someone is unduly harsh or critical of what I am in recovery, I can first ask if the criticism is warranted and if I should work harder on a character defect. But if I find that the criticism is not justified, I can either take it with a grain of salt or ask if the person being unduly judgmental is someone I need even care about. If I can say honestly that my Program has made me a better person and I am continuing to work the Steps toward being a better person, I can believe I am at a secure place in recovery. Today, my self-confidence will be based on an honest look at where I am now in my recovery and not on what someone thinks. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...