Feb. 14, 2014 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, Feb. 14, 2014 
Today, I will not concede to any disappointment or fear of someone or something gone wrong, and I will not cave in to self-pity as an excuse to toy with the "poor me's." Sobriety does not promise being spared or can it shelter me from setbacks, disappointment, fears and seemingly insurmountable challenges; everyone faces them. As an alcoholic with a personality that is both emotionally and spiritually challenged more so than most others, I might be apt to "give up," "give in" and whine, "Why me?" Answer: why not? My Program in AA has given me the tools to meet setbacks and disappointments effectively; it is up to me to use the tools. Today, then, I will meet disappointment, fear, frustration, anger and anything else potentially lethal as a challenge to find and nourish them into something less than bad. But I first must be in a place where I don't want to twist anything into an excuse to drink, use, gamble, over-eat, whatever. Today, I choose not to want to return to the very dark place from whence I came. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...