April 24, 2014 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Thursday, April 24, 2014
 
Today, I begin to understand the link between consequences and responsibility - and to appreciate that I and I alone am responsible to the consequences of all my behavior and choices, including drinking, and that excuses and justifications will not spare me either consequences or responsibility. The Program's 12th Step requirement to "practice these principles in all (my) affairs" implies that to live by the Program's principles I must not fall back on the weak defenses of my days of drinking to weasel out of owning my feelings, actions and behavior and the consequences of each. If, for example, I slip or relapse, I cannot "blame" anyone or any situation or feeling because, in the end, I made the choice to drink. No one tied me down and poured it down my throat, and I and no one else will endure the physical and emotional consequences of my choice to drink. Today, I am mindful that all I say, do and feel will bear consequences and that I alone am responsible to those consequences. And if I want to avoid responsibility for consequences, the "out" is clear: don't do whatever I don't want to be responsible for. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...