Aug. 17, 2014 - A Day at a Time

The Serenity Prayer
A Day at a Time
Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014

Reflection for the Day
The Fourth Step suggests we make a searching and fearless moral inventory - not an immoral inventory of ourselves. The Steps are guidelines to recovery, not whipping posts for self-flagellation. Taking my inventory doesn't mean concentrating on my shortcomings until all the good is hidden from view. By the same token, recognizing the good need not be an act of pride or conceit. If I recognize my good qualities as God-given, I can take an inventory with true humility while experiencing satisfaction in what is pleasant, loving and generous in me.

Will I try to believe, in Walt Whitman's words, that "I am larger, better than I thought; I did not know I held so much goodness ..."?

Today I Pray
When I find good things about myself, as I undertake this inner archaeological dig, may I give credit where it is due - to God, who is the giver of all good. May I appreciate whatever is good about me with humility, as a gift from God.

Today I Will Remember
Goodness is a gift from God.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...