Nov. 22, 2014 - Step by Step

The Serenity Prayer
Step by Step
Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014

Todaychoices. The ones I am making now can partly measure my progress in the program and the quality of my sobriety. As a drinking alcoholic, my choices were based on lies, fear, anger, loneliness, resentment and selfishness. As a recovering alcoholic, my choices should be based on truth, logic, without emotion and with a sense of the greater good instead of just mine. My choices then and now, while hopefully made from different perspectives, retain one constant: in the end, there are consequences of my choices and I alone am responsible to those consequences. Unlike then, however, now I can think to the consequences of my choices and, if I see those consequences I do not want to be responsible to, sobriety gives me the freedom to choose wisely. Drinking denied me that freedom; choices then almost always produced consequences that are even now too costly. Today, being sober, I have the freedom of choice, and I pray for the higher power's wisdom to make the right choices. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 18, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, April 18, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Friendship with oneself is all-important, because withou...