Nov. 25, 2014 - Today's Gift from Hazelden

The Serenity Prayer
Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

I always have two lists: things I'm happy about and things I'm not. It's my choice which list I focus on.
 -- Anne Arthur


Why do we all too eagerly see the glass as half empty rather than as half full? It need not be a habit that we are stuck with forever. All of us feel helpless at times to change our vision of life. Discouragement and self-pity become comfortable, and we fear that discarding them will leave us vulnerable.

Seeing the glass as half empty is a sign that our attitude is holding us back. Unfortunately, a bad attitude is seductive. It's as though we find pleasure, perverse though it may be, in feeling sorry for ourselves. Sometimes we even imagine staying in that place forever. It's then that we need the warmth of loving friends, and it's no accident that we are surrounded by them in this fellowship.

We may, at first, try to ignore those reaching toward us, but we will soon feel their presence. We can thank God for the inspiration to adjust our attitude.

If I reach out lovingly to someone else today, I will not need a nudge from my Higher Power to adjust my attitude.
From the book:
A Woman's Spirit by Karen Casey. © 1994 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 16, 2024 - Reading sin Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Tuesday, April 16, 2024 Today ,  start to forgive myself and let go of guilt I harbor for failing or not getting the chance t...