Nov. 28, 2015 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Saturday, Nov. 28, 2015
Today's thought from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:
"I was lucky," a man explained to me. "One of my first mentors in life made me practice serenity. Whenever I'd call him in full-blown panic mode or with that frantic tone in my voice, he'd refuse to talk to me until I calmed myself down.
"'Go get centered,' he'd tell me. 'Then we'll talk.'" Sometimes we need help working through our panic, anxiety, and fear. Find someone to talk to who will support serenity, rather than feed anxiety. Learn to recognize turmoil and urgency in your body, speech, emotions, and thought. Learn what it feels like to be centered and calm. Practicing serenity is a learned behavior and an art.
Action:
When you find yourself in turmoil, stop what you are doing. Take deliberate steps to relax. Talk to a friend, say the Serenity Prayer or any favorite prayer, breathe, meditate, feel any emotions you need to feel. Calming yourself may feel awkward at first, nearly impossible. (Some people may need professional help to deal with anxiety and panic if it's chronic and continual.) Over time and with practice, you will discover ways to calm yourself, the way a loving parent learns to calm a fretting child.

You are reading from the book:
52 Weeks of Conscious Contact © 2003 by Melody Beattie

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...