Nov. 30, 2015 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Monday, Nov. 30, 2015

Today, understanding that a substitute chemical to replace alcohol that alters my perception of reality is not working toward recovery from an addictive personality, may I also understand that "mind- and mood-altering chemicals" may not necessarily include prescribed medications. If depression continues to be a condition even in sobriety, for example, let me listen to reasons why anti-depressants may not compromise my sobriety but may even improve its quality. The debate in AA and other 12-step programs that any substance which alters mood costs us our sobriety is as old as the program itself. But the program admits it is not a medical one, and that tells me it is my responsibility to seek out knowledge from qualified sources to determine if my sobriety is at risk. Today, understanding that the substances I ingested are not the same as prescribed medications, let me also consider the possibility that acting as my own physician may be writing my own relapse somewhere down the road. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...