Nov. 23, 2016 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016

Reflection for the Day
Before I came to The Program, I was like an actor who insisted on writing the script, producing, directing and, in short, running the whole show. I had to do it my way, forever trying to arrange and re-arrange the lights, lines, sets and, most of all, the other players' performances. If only my arrangements would stay put, and people would behave as I wished, the show would be fantastic. My self-delusion led me to believe that if they all would just shape up, everything would be fine. Of course, it never worked out that way.

Isn't it amazing how others seem to be "shaping up" now that I've stopped trying to manage everything and everybody?

Today I Pray
May I talk myself out of that old urge to control everything and everybody. Time was, if I couldn't manage directly, I would do it indirectly, through manipulation, secret conferences and asides. May I know that if I am the one who is always pulling the strings on the marionettes, then I am also the one who feels the frustration when they collapse or slip off the stage.

Today I Will Remember
I can only "shape up" myself.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...