Feb. 6, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Monday, Feb. 6, 2017
Reflection for the Day
I used to be an expert at unrealistic self-appraisal. At certain times, I would look only at that part of my life which seemed good. Then I would magnify whatever real or imagined virtues I had attained. Next, I would pat myself on the back for the fantastic job I was doing in The Program. Naturally, this generated a craving for still more "accomplishments" and still greater approval. Wasn't that the pattern of my days during active addiction? The difference now, though, is that I can use the best alibi known - the spiritual alibi.
Do I sometimes rationalize willful actions and nonsensical behavior in the name of "spiritual objectives?"
Today I Pray
God help me to know if I still crave attention and approval to the point of inflating my own virtues and magnifying my accomplishments in The Program or anywhere. May I keep a realistic perspective about my good points, even as I learn to respect myself.
Today I Will Remember
Learn to control inflation.
Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Friday, March 29, 2024 Today ,  if I start any day with dread, I probably need to do a  10th Step  or re-do my  Fourth.  Clea...