April 16, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 
 
Today, I have to start forgiving myself and let go of any guilt I harbor for failing or not getting the chance to make amends to someone who is no longer able to hear my apology. If I hurt someone who is not able to receive my amends, may God grant me the comfort in remembering the good I hopefully showed that person before the selfishness, egoism or whatever other reason my alcoholism inflicted damage. And if I can no longer go to that person for whatever reason although I wish I could, let my amends to that person be progress in recovery and not imposing injury or hurt on anyone else. But, in every instance, forgiving has to begin at home; without forgiving myself, I probably cannot "allow" anyone else to forgive me. Today, I take responsibility for harm I did someone to whom I can no longer make amends, and my sincerest apology may be to progress beyond holding onto guilt and growing in recovery; there will be no amends if I empower my guilt to make me take up the bottle again. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 26, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford FoundatIon

  Friday, April 26, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow; it only saps toda...