Aug. 23, 2012 - Just for Today

Just for Today
Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012

“Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life’s terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitude.” - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, “They Stopped in Time,” Ch 17 (“Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict”), p 449.

Just for today, grant me understanding and accept that MY alcoholism and recovery depend on MEmaking fundamental changes internally and that those changes cannot come externally by expecting the world to change to accommodate me. If I have not yet accepted that I must live life on life’s terms or if I have not accepted or surrendered to the basic truth that I am powerless over alcohol, I am undoubtedly going to stumble not too far out of the starting gate. I cannot expect the realities of life to change any more than I would change myself to comply with someone else’s expectations of me; thus, for the basic changes that I must make to work toward as quality a soberity as I can in the Program, I have to look inward to begin making those changes. Today, I scrap my expectations of the world and everyone else to meet MY standards; instead, I ask if maybe the problem isn’t ME. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...