Dec. 12, 2012 - Just for Today

Just for Today
Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2012
 


"What alcoholic can live with rejection? How devastating, too, are the subsequent feelings of inadequacy and self-pity. There's only one answer - liquid comfort. The unwillingness to admit failure requires even further friendly intake. It becomes vital, also, that others not know of our defeats nor suspect our loss of confidence." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Stopped in Time," Ch 3 ("Those Golden Years"), p 331.

Just for today
, I can understand now that a drinking alcoholic cannot accept or live with rejection - but a recovering alcoholic can. By the grace of the Program's wisdom, I see now that what is "rejected" is not necessarily my entire being but only what I have said or done. And when I was ill-equipped as a drinking alcoholic to learn, the Steps of AA alert me when I am wrong, to promptly admit it and how not to respond verbally with emotion but with logic. Few are the feelings of absolute rejection. I am sober now, though, and I can see with the vision AA has provided that I do not have to perceive a "no" to be a total rejection of my entire being but only in what I have said or done. In the end, I am a member of the Fellowship of AA, and the Program rejects no one. And our common journey continues. Just for today. -Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Friday, March 29, 2024 Today ,  if I start any day with dread, I probably need to do a  10th Step  or re-do my  Fourth.  Clea...