Dec. 13, 2012 - Just for Today


Just for Today
Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012 
"In our belief, any scheme of combating alcoholism which proposes to shield the sick man from temptation is doomed to failure. If the alcoholic tries to shield himself, he may succeed for a time, but he usually winds up with a bigger explosion than ever. We have tried these methods. These attempts to do the impossible have always failed." -Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Ch 7 ("Working With Others"), p 101.
Just for today, I must recognize that I cannot shield myself from places or people that could trigger temptation because to do so is living in the problem of alcoholism and not in the solution of sobriety. I may well be required to attend gatherings where alcohol is served, or I may be in a relationship where my spouse or companion continues to drink. Further, shielding myself from any source of alcohol will undoubtedly limit my ability to carry out the commandment of the 12th Step - to work with others who are still drinking. While I certainly don't want to risk temptation by returning to my past watering holes for a cup of coffee, I cannot reasonably expect myself never to be in a situation where alcohol is available. In those instances, then, I have the AA Program to get through any temptation. It is up to me to invoke and put the Steps to work. I am an alcoholic, but I am a recovering one. I have the choice to live with the problem of alcohol or with the solution of recovery. Today, I pick the latter. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...