Dec. 15, 2012 - Just for Today


Just for Today
Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012
 
Just for today, I must guard against associating the quantity of my sobriety with its quality. If my recovery consists only of not drinking and I have not tended to my emotional and spiritual diseases, I am probably little more than a dry drunk. Further, I need to understand and appreciate the truth that ours is a day-to-day reprieve and that weeks, months and even years without drinking is no guarantee that I won't slip or relapse today. Even if my own sobriety dates several 24 Hours, let me understand that I am no more sober than the person whose last drink was 24 Hours ago and, likewise, that person is no less sober than I. But, if my own sobriety is several 24 Hours, let me also accept and respect the responsibility that quantity might impose: I may be asked to carry the Program's message to someone who needs and seeks it. To that extent, I owe the Program the respect to bring quality to my sobriety and pass on that quality to whoever seeks it. Today, I am sober 24 Hours. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Friday, March 29, 2024 Today ,  if I start any day with dread, I probably need to do a  10th Step  or re-do my  Fourth.  Clea...