Feb. 8, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, Feb. 8, 2013

Today
, by living only in this day without reaching into yesterday and bringing its baggage into today and by leaving tomorrow to its own time, I am reminded that my sobriety in the Program and from my Higher Power is a reprieve from the destruction of drinking - but only for today. I have no guarantee that my current 24 Hours of sobriety will carry into tomorrow, if there is one, and I therefore cannot take for granted that what is mine today won't be thrown away - by me - tomorrow. And while I have no guarantee that my sobriety today will be mine tomorrow, I CAN improve the chances by doing today what recovery and the Program expect and require of me - to tend to the business of today and not yesterday or tomorrow, to seek through contact with my Higher Power absolute and unconditional surrender, faith, gratitude and humility, and NOT to do to anyone what I would not want done to me. By strengthening the foundation of my sobriety today, the storms of tomorrow, if there are to be any storms, will be weakened by my sobriety tomorrow. But today's business must be tended to first, and today is my business. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 5, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Sunday, May 5, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: The purpose of life is a life of purpose. --  Robert Byrne Wh...