March 11, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Monday, March 11, 2013
 
Today, should I feel tempted to drink "just one" or if the temptation extends to "just one more night," let me have the honesty to admit to myself that I have already premeditated the pending slip or relapse and that I find the wisdom "to change the things I can." And a temptation is something I CAN change. Grant me the courage to do what the Program suggests when temptation calls: reach out to a sponsor, a co-member, or even an online contact BEFORE I take the drink. Asking for help AFTER the drink is too late. And if I don't have the sense to seek help before the drink, let me remember the yesterdays of morning afters and their residue: hangovers, shakes, guilt, remorse, memory loss, fear, shame. Is any of that worth the instant gratification of a drink and, with all honesty, does my drinking history have even ONE instance of cutting myself off after "just one?" Nope! Today, if I am tempted, let me have the courage to muster the honesty to tell myself that I am premeditating a relapse, that a slip is a myth and that the consequence simply isn't worth it. And, today, I'll call help. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 20, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Monday, May 20, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Send me the right thought, word or action. Show me what my n...