March 14, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Thursday, March 14, 2013
 
Today, if I feel the need to talk or open up to someone about something that bothers and weighs heavy on me, I will not be held back from reaching out by my old character defects of fear, uncertainty, anger, self-imposed isolation or the thought that I might come off as "unloading" or "dumping" on someone. The Program has impressed on me that recovery is partly about mutual sharing and support, and I can't expect either if I put a lid on something I know I must give voice to, be it an admission of a wrong done long ago and still requires amend or the dread of saying I have been diagnosed with a potentially serious condition because to say it will make it true, or anything else. In asking for help if I need it, I might not get a solution but I might get release from anxiety, fear, dread, loneliness and all those other traits of my emotional and spiritual disease simply by talking to an empathetic ear or a co-AA who might have his own experience, strength and hope to share. Today, I will not be alone; I shall be a part, not apart. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...