March 18, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Monday, March 18, 2013
 
Today, I stop thinking about what I have lost to alcoholism with twinges of grief, mourning, regret, self-pity, anger and an unjustified feeling of injustice. AA has shown me how to turn the pain of loss into gratitude that I had in the first place the people, things and opportunities that are casualties of my alcoholic struggle. The Program has also taught me to look not on what I have lost but what I may still gain in recovery, and the Steps of restoration in the Fourth and 10th, reconciliation of my wrongs in the Ninth and service in Step 12 hold the promise of gains yet to come. Today, the bitter of the sweet from the pains of my drinking yield to the prospect that I may yet experience that which might overshadow the losses that still hurt. But I have to work the Steps of restoration, reconciliation and service to yield the benefits. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 26, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford FoundatIon

  Friday, April 26, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow; it only saps toda...