Aug. 14, 2013 - A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2013
Reflection for the Day
Step Four enables me to see myself as I really am – my characteristics, motives, attitudes and actions. I’m taught in The Program to search out my mistakes resolutely. Where, for example, had I been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking, and frightened? I’m taught, also, that my deeply-rooted habit of self-justification may tempt me to “explain away” each fault as I uncover it, blaming others for my own shortcomings.
Will I believe that personal honesty can achieve what superior knowledge often cannot?
Today I Pray
May I not make the Fourth Step a once-over-lightly, let’s-get-it-over-with exercise in self-appraisal. May I know that, once I take this Step, I must review it again many times until it becomes, like the other eleven, a way of life for me. May I protect the value of my Fourth Step from my old habit of head-tripping and buck-passing my way out of responsibility.
Today I Will Remember
Personal honesty paves the way to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...