Dec. 23, 2013 - Today's Gift from Hazelden

Monday, Dec. 23, 2013
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Slow down and let go

On a road trip up the California coast a while back, I tried to call home only to find that the battery in my cell phone had died. I worried. What if someone needed to get in touch with me? What if there was a problem with the house? What if my family couldn't find me and got worried?

I passed the exit to the beach that I had always wanted to see.

I obsessed some more.

I stopped for breakfast at a restaurant overlooking the Pacific ocean. I asked if they had a pay phone. They didn't. I barely noticed the stunning view, the smell or the sound of the surf, and I can't remember eating my eggs and toast.

I put off seeing things until another trip; I took the freeway and got home early.

When I got home, there were no messages. No one had needed me; no one had even been aware that I was gone. But I had missed out on the treasures of the trip. I had spent so much time obsessing; I could barely remember where I'd been.

God, help me enjoy where I am right now.
From the book:
More Language of Letting Go © 2000 by Melody Beattie

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 20, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Saturday, April 20, 2024 Today ,  small  steps  instead of an  “easier, softer way.”  Alcoholism and its physical, emotional ...