March 24, 2014 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Monday, March 24, 2014
 
Today, I will not think beyond the current 24 Hours about the length of my sobriety, be it one day or one week or one month or one year or one decade or longer. Although alcoholism is chronic and incurable but can be in arrested by abstinence, all the 24 Hours of clean time I may have accrued are gone if I buy into the delusion and illusion that I can get away with just one drink. And all that is needed is "just one" to set off the progression of the disease and dis-ease of alcoholism. Thus, even if I have racked up any significant number of 24 Hours and I "slip," I am no more sober than the co-alcoholic who woke up this morning with a hangover. Let me remember the yesterdays when I awoke to the harsh reality that the 24 Hours I had before then were gone, and let me know that my yesterdays are the best predictor of my todays and tomorrows and that I can apply the lessons from yesterday to avoid repeating their mistakes today. Further, let me keep my ego in check: another alcoholic who woke up hung over yesterday but is sober this morning is no less clean than I, even if my 24 Hours are more. Today, when it comes to being and staying sober, I will take it literally one day at a time. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 18, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, April 18, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Friendship with oneself is all-important, because withou...