April 22, 2014 - The Eye Opener

Step by Step
Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Today, I will stop running from the pain of regret, shame, guilt, loss and all other anguish that my drinking days evoked. While I cannot and will not embrace my pain, I must finally come to terms and reconciliation with it. By taking each step in the Program with absolute honesty and the wisdom of my Higher Power's will for myself, I will look instead to the lessons to be learned from my actions that eventually pooled together to create the pain I may still carry. Regret and shame might be eased by perhaps the single strongest amend I can make: by not drinking today. I can release guilt by learning from the mistakes of my behavior that bred it, and the sense of loss might be less painful if I can be grateful that I even had what I lost and accept that I might not have been ready to be responsible for what I had and lost. Today, I will work on weakening the hurt of pain not by running from or denying it, but by confronting it and find the comfort in it - and even in pain, there is comfort. But, in the end, if I deny or do not allow myself to feel and deal with the hurt, the good might not feel as good as it might otherwise. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...