April 26, 2014 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Saturday, April 26, 2014
 
Today, grant me the wisdom and prudence to appreciate the power of the spoken word, the one spewed in anger, fear, frustration or sarcasm and which can inflict more damage than any destructive act of my drinking days. Let me understand that a single wrong word can do hurt and injury that might not be healed by any amend I might make. And even if my amend or apology is accepted, the injury and hurt may cut so deeply in the person against whom the wrong word is spoken, something can still be lost permanently. I pray for guidance in the 12th Step that I practice all the Program's principles in all my affairs, including not caving into the impulsiveness or anger of unleashing a word that is intended to impose hurt. Today, I must think before I speak, especially if I am angry, frustrated or afraid, because I cannot unspeak it - and atonement may not be enough to repair the damage. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...