Sept. 27, 2014 - Step by Step

The Serenity Prayer
Step by Step
Saturday, Sept. 27, 2014

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." - Herbert Spencer

" ...(A)ny alcoholic capable of honestly facing his problems in the light of our experience can recover, provided he does not close his mind to all spiritual concepts. He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance or belligerent denial.
"We find that no one need have difficulty with the spirituality of the program. Willingness, honesty and open-mindedness are the essentials of recovery. But these are indispensable." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Appendices, "Spiritual Experience," p 570.

Today, to close my mind to even a remote possibility of a Power greater than myself is equivalent to self-absorption and, as such, my recovery program predictably will serve no one but me. Not only does a program that focuses only on me trample the 12th Step, it is also guaranteed to fail; there is humility and gain in service to others, or 12th-Stepping. If for no other reason than the selfishness to absorb as much from the Program as I can, I must open myself to the possibility that a Higher Power - even God, should that be what I choose to call Him - can pull me from inside myself and maybe learn from the lessons of other alcoholics. In the process, I may be disciplined that what I think is the enormity of my problems is minuscule against the problems of others. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 25, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, April 25, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Letting Go of Anger In recovery, we often discuss anger ...