Dec. 24, 2014 - Step by Step

The Serenity Prayer
Step by Step
Wednesday, Dec. 24, 2014 
Today, on this Christmas Eve, I have no need, desire or excuse to take part of the holiday's liquid cheer, such as it is, because I am here despite or in spite of it all, and my choice today is to retain or begin my sobriety. If I still have family and friends to be with this holiday season, I will not sabotage it again by drinking even one gulp; if I am alone for whatever reason, it is because I have allowed it and shut out the support of meeting houses, others in recovery or those who need help getting there. Today is not a day for selfishness, and I will not empower it with self-pity, anger, mourning and regret if they are what my drinking spawned. Instead, I will be grateful that I simply am and have the potential to sober up, grow in it and, in some way, regain what I might have lost and keep what I haven't. Today, I haven't got time for the bittersweet of the season; only the promise of the sweet. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...