Nov. 15, 2016 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016

" ...(L)ife among Alcoholics Anonymous is more than attending gatherings and visiting hospitals. Cleaning up old scrapes, helping to settle family differences, explaining the disinherited son to his irate parents, lending money and securing jobs for each other, when justified - these are everyday occurrences. No one is too discredited or has sunk too low to be welcomed cordially - if he means business." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Ch 11 ("A Vision For You"), p 161.

Today, I know through faith that I am not "too discredited" or " too low" to begin recovery. But I have to "mean business." What does this mean? That I absolutely must surrender in Step One that "(I) am powerless" over alcohol or any other addictive or compulsive substance and behavior, and then to Step Two where I must at least be open to the possibility of a power stronger and greater than myself. When I can say honestly that I have bowed to these two steps, I am "ready to take certain steps," the ones that lead me beyond being dry to getting sober. Yet working the steps and going to meetings are not enough. "Cleaning up" the wreckage of my drinking days requires work beyond mouthing the words of the steps and going to meetings. My recovery takes work. I have no right to sobriety: I must earn it. And once I have received it, God granting, I will have the wisdom and knowledge to nurture it, and that means continued working of the steps, reassessing my program to change as I hopefully grow in my recovery and, just as important, being in service to those who need and want the lifeline of AA. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...