Dec. 16, 2016 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, Dec. 16, 2016 
TodayI will not empower anyone so strongly that their perception or opinion about me determines my sense of self-worth and security and, especially, the quality of my recovery. In recovery, I can't believe my purpose is to be everything to everyone or to meet the standards they set down. The reason for recovery is to stop drinking or using and atoning for any injury and hurt I might have imposed in my drinking days. In some cases, amends may not possible nor can I control if my amends will be accepted. If I find someone is unduly harsh or critical of what I am in recovery, I can first ask if the criticism is warranted and whether I should work harder on a character defect. But if I find that the criticism is not justified, I can either take it with a grain of salt or ask if the person being unduly judgmental is someone I need even care about. If I can say honestly that my program has made me a better person and I am continuing to work the steps toward being a better person, I can believe I am at a secure place in recovery. Today, my self-confidence will be based on an honest look at where I am in recovery, not on what someone thinks. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 16, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Tuesday, April 16, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: There are persons who have some parts like me, but no one...