April 17, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Monday, April 17, 2017 

Reflection for the Day
The Program teaches me to remain on guard against impatience, lapses into self-pity and resentments of the words and deeds of others. Though I must never forget what it used to be like, neither should I permit myself to take tormenting excursions into the past - merely for the sake of self-indulgent morbidity. Now that I'm alert to the danger signals, I know I'm improving day by day. 

If a crisis arises, or any problem baffles me, do I hold it up to the light of the Serenity Prayer? 

Today I Pray
I pray for perspective as I review the past. May I curb my impulse to upstage and out-do the members of my group by regaling them with the horrors of my addiction. May I no longer use the past to document my self-pity or submerge myself in guilt. May memories of those miserable earlier days serve me only as sentinels, guarding against hazardous situations or unhealthy sets of mind. 

Today I Will Remember
I cannot change the past. 

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 20, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Saturday, April 20, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Avoiding self-pity Our troubled lives and mixed-up emoti...