May 20, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Saturday, May 20, 2017

Reflection for the Day
Alcoholism is called the "lonely disease;" almost without exception, alcoholics are literally tortured by loneliness. Even before the end of our drinking - before people began to shun us and we were "eighty-sixed" from bars, restaurants or people's homes - nearly all of us felt that we didn't quite belong. We were either shy and dared not draw near others, or we were noisy good fellows craving attention and approval but rarely getting it. There was always that mysterious barrier we could neither surmount nor understand. Finally, even Bacchus betrayed us; we were struck down and left in terrified isolation.

Have I begun to achieve an inner calm?

Today I Pray
May I know the tenderness of an intimate relationship with God and the calm I feel when I touch His spirit. May I translate this tenderness and calm to my relationships with others. May God deliver me from my lifelong feeling of loneliness and show me how to be a friend.

Today I Will Remember
God can teach me to be a friend.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 19, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Tuesday, March 19, 2024 Today ,  if some destructive emotion like self-pity or anger pops up and tells me I can’t do anything...