May 21, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Sunday, May 21, 2017
Step by Step
"When I am hungry, give me someone that I can feed. And when I am thirsty, give me someone who needs a drink. When I'm cold, give me someone to keep warm. And when I grieve, give me someone to console." - Mother Teresa

Today, I embrace the prayer of a religious icon it evokes two essential philosophies of a recovery worth achieving: humility and service. By encountering the person who is hungrier than I, whose thirst is more parched, who is not as warm as I and who mourns losses more painful than mine, may I have the charity to feel compassion  and realize - finally - that my own hunger, thirst, cold and grief is less than someone else's. And in that humility, may I be compelled into service to feed the one who is hungrier, whose thirst needs quenched more than mine, who needs my coat more than I and whose heart needs consolation more than mine. In humility and service, may I see that my recovery hinges on NOT making myself the center of my and anyone else's universe, and may I treasure forever the gratitude of the one person who I can help. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 19, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Tuesday, March 19, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: With each sunrise, we start anew. —  Anonymous Like a tree, o...