May 25, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Thursday, May 25, 2017

"The remorse, horror and hopelessness of the next morning are unforgettable. The courage to do battle was not there. (The) brain raced uncontrollably and there was a terrible sense of impending calamity. ...(A) mental fog settled down. Gin would fix that. So two bottles, and - oblivion." - Alcoholics Anonymous, Third Edition, 1976, Ch 1, p 6.

Today, gratitude that I awoke today with memory of what I did or said last night, and without dread of what this day will bring and without fear that some unknown disaster is about to explode. Today, I have clarity of all I said and did last night, no dread of what these 24 Hours will serve and no need to run from a non-existent fear. AA has strengthened me with faith and trust in a Higher Power who, in turn, has graced me with faith in the 12 Steps and, above all, with sobriety. But I cannot take for granted that I awoke sober today and with a sense of purpose. My reprieve from all those morning-afters of so many yesterdays is only for this day, and this day I must continue to work toward awakening to the next 24 Hours without "remorse, horror and hopelessness." And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 19, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Tuesday, March 19, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: With each sunrise, we start anew. —  Anonymous Like a tree, o...