May 29, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Monday, May 29, 2017

Reflection for the Day
When we first reached The Program and for the first time in our lives stood among people who seemed to understand, the sense of belonging was exhilarating. We felt that the problem of isolation had been solved. We soon discovered, however, that while we weren't alone any more, in a social sense, we still suffered many of the old pangs of anxious apartness. Until we had talked with complete candor of our conflicts and had listened to someone else do the same thing, we still didn't belong. Step Five was the answer.

Have I found through the Fifth Step the beginning of true kinship with my fellows and God?

Today I Pray
May God help me learn to share myself, my attributes and my failings, not just as I take the Fifth Step but in a continuing give-and-take process with my friends. May I cultivate an attitude of openness and honesty with others, now that I have begun to be honest with myself. May I remember who I used to be - the child in a game of hide-and-seek, who hid so well that nobody could find her/him and everyone gave up trying and went home.

Today I Will Remember
I will be open to friendship.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 18, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Monday, March 18, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Compassion doesn’t mean taking care of people Feeling compassi...