May 29, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Monday, May 29, 2017 
"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity." - Step Two 
Today, whether a newcomer or veteran of the program, if the term Higher Power discourages me because my faith has been ravaged by alcohol or a less than serene sobriety, let me re-read and understand the literal interpretation of Step Two. We are not asked to believe but come to believe in the possibility of a Higher Power. If I shrug off that possibility, I need only look to why I came to AA. And in doing that, I also reached for the possibility that some help I needed desperately exists. But if I cannot yet grasp the concept of a Higher Power, let me believe that Step Two is telling me that coming to believe in and accepting a Higher Power is a dynamic process, or one that might evolve. Just as I did not become sober after my last drink however long ago it was and went being dry to being sober, so it goes with developing an understanding of the principles of the Twelve Steps. Today, I will not give up if I do not  believe in that Higher Power and instead will proceed with the promise of Step Two that I will one day find it. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 18, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Monday, March 18, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Compassion doesn’t mean taking care of people Feeling compassi...