July 11, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Tuesday, July 11, 2017
 
Reflection for the Day
Someone once defined the ego as "the sum total of false ideas about myself." Persistent reworking of the Twelve Steps enables me to gradually strip away my false ideas about myself. This permits nearly imperceptible but steady growth in my understanding of the truth about myself. And this, in turn, leads to a growing understanding of God and other human beings.

Do I strive for self-honesty, promptly admitting when I'm wrong?

Today I Pray
God, teach me understanding; teach me to know truth when I meet it; teach me the importance of self-honesty so that I may be able to say, sincerely, "I was wrong," along with, "I am sorry." Teach me that there is such a thing as a "healthy ego" which does not require that feelings be medicated by mood-alterers. May I - slowly, on my tightrope - move toward the ideal of balance, so I can do away with the nets of falsehood and compulsion.

Today I Will Remember
To keep my balance.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 19, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Tuesday, March 19, 2024 Today ,  if some destructive emotion like self-pity or anger pops up and tells me I can’t do anything...