July 13, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Thursday, July 13, 2017
Today's thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day.
 -- Albert Camus


"Later." How often have we said this? This trick helps us avoid the tasks of the day. Life is full of tasks - many fun, some boring, and others hard. Can I accept the tasks my Higher Power gives me, easy or hard?

When we used alcohol or other drugs, we'd avoid tasks if they became hard for us. We believed we had more control than we really did. We started to believe we could control outcomes. What we really were doing was setting ourselves up for a great fall. We had to face the fact that when our Higher Power had given us a task, we said no, and turned away. Thus, we turned away from the guiding hand of our Higher Power.

Prayer for the Day
God, help me face You and the tasks You give me. Make me a grateful student of life.

Today's Action
Today I will talk with friends. I will tell them what tasks I'm working on.
You are reading from the book:
Keep It Simple © 1989 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 18, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Monday, March 18, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Compassion doesn’t mean taking care of people Feeling compassi...