July 2, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Sunday, July 2, 2017

Today, if it is an anniversary of the passing of someone dear to me or any other observance that rekindles a sense of loss and bittersweet, let me look to my program not to mourn what is gone but to be grateful that I experienced the good in the first place. And let me look to the lessons and examples of who or what I was once blessed enough to have to pay respect to their memories. As a drinking alcoholic, loss was a cornerstone of my existence; today, in recovery, gratitude and honoring the memories of people or things now gone are my comfort. AA has given me the tools to come to terms with loss but, more importantly, how to handle the sometimes unkind changes of life without alcohol, self-pity, anger, anguish and a subtle longing for days and times long gone. Today, if the date resurrects the bittersweet, the gift of sobriety can overcome the bitter with the sweet. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017
In memory of:
Vicki Stewart
July 2, 1953-Jan. 12, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 19, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Tuesday, March 19, 2024 Today ,  if some destructive emotion like self-pity or anger pops up and tells me I can’t do anything...