July 5, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Wednesday, July 5, 2017
Today's thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
 -- Step Eleven of AA and Al-Anon


"... praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out" means that we ask on a daily basis to be shown the plan for that day. We also ask our Source for the power we need to carry that through. We will get a yes to both requests.

We do not ask other people to show their will for us. We ask God. Then we trust that we'll be empowered to carry God's will through.

God never, never asks us to do anything that He would not equip us to do. He never asks us to do anything we can't do. If we are to do it, we will be empowered. That's the easy part of this program. We never have to do more than we can, or anything we can't. If we want to worry and fuss we can, but we don't need to. That is our choice.

When I don't know what to do next, God does. Working this Step, one day at a time, will take us to places we could never have traveled on our own. 


Today, I will focus on asking God to show me what He wants me to do. I will ask God for the power to do that; then I will go ahead and get the job done. God, help me let go of my fears about living life one day at a time. Help me trust that when life is lived simply and in trust, a beautiful mosaic called "my life" will be woven. I am being divinely led, guided, and cared for.
You are reading from the book:
The Language of Letting Go © 1990 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 18, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Monday, March 18, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Compassion doesn’t mean taking care of people Feeling compassi...