Aug. 10, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Thursday, Aug. 10, 2017

Reflection for the Day
We've been our own worst enemies most of our lives, and we've often injured ourselves seriously as a result of a "justified" resentment over a slight wrong. Doubtless there are many causes for resentment in the world, all of them providing "justification." But we can never begin to settle all the world's grievances or even arrange things so as to please everybody. If we've been treated unjustly by others or simply by life itself, we can avoid compounding the difficulty by completely forgiving the persons involved and abandoning the destructive habit of reviewing our hurts and humiliations.

Can I believe that yesterday's hurt is today's understanding, rewoven into tomorrow's love?

Today I Pray
Whether I am unjustly treated or just think I am, may I try not to be a resentful person, stewing over past injuries. Once I have identified the root emotion behind my resentment, may I be big enough to forgive the person involved and wise enough to forget the whole thing.

Today I Will Remember
Not all injustice can be fixed.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...