Aug. 8, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Tuesday, Aug. 8, 2017

Reflection for the Day
As a recovering alcoholic, I have to remind myself that no amount of social acceptance of resentments will take the poison out of them. In a way, the problem of resentments is very much like the drinking problem. Alcohol is never safe for me, no matter who is offering it. I've attended cocktail receptions for worthy causes, often in a convivial atmosphere that makes drinking seem almost harmless.

Just as I politely but adamantly decline alcohol under any conditions, will I also refuse to accept resentments - no matter who is serving them?

Today I Pray
When anger, hurt, fear or guilt - to be socially acceptable - put on their polite, party manners, dress up as resentment and come in the side door, may I not hobnob with them. These emotions, disguised as they are, can be as full of trickery as the chemicals themselves.

Today I Will Remember
Keep an eye on the side door.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 20, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Saturday, April 20, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Avoiding self-pity Our troubled lives and mixed-up emoti...